There’s far more to the Oh Canada Waterdown Ribfest than just great family entertainment, ribs, bands and fun. We also have a growing Rotary Marketplace each year that features the best of local businesses, not-for-profit organizations, crafters and other vendors.
Vendors providing products and services ranging from wine tasting to dance lessons to information to merchandise all come together in the Rotary Marketplace. It’s a great place to come and browse, ask questions or just to see what’s out there in your community.
If you are interested in putting a booth in this year’s Rotary Marketplace, act soon and contact our coordinator Erica for more information.
The Waterdown Ribfest is one of the best family friendly activities to do this Canada Day weekend. With fun for all ages, great food and entertainment you can’t go wrong. Stop in for a few hours or visit on multiple days, you’ll find a lot of fun and great food so bring your friends
Tips for a safe fun day
- Bring a hat and sunscreen, there’s lot’s of shade but nothing ruins a great day in the park more than a terrible sunburn.
- Keep hydrated, water and pop is for sale throughout the park and of course there is great Nickelbrook Beer for sale.
- Try out a lot of different ribbers or food vendors, you’ll be surprised by the differences…and they’re all good!
- We are proud to offer an environmentally friendly event, so please help us by bringing your garbage to one of our many recycling centres throughout the park.
- Check out our entertainment schedule posted in the park and on our website to catch all of the great acts and entertainment throughout the weekend.
- Please no pets or coolers in the park for the safety and comfort of all of our guests.
- Don’t forget to bring change to give a donation at the gate to help support the great work of Rotary in our community and around the world.
- Take time to check out our Rotary Marketplace with our many local businesses and organizations represented.
- Our Movie in the Park is back this year thanks to the great folks at Scotiabank in Waterdown….watch our website or follow-us on Twitter to learn what this year’s movie will be. Great for young families.
- The fireworks display is back again this year thanks to an amazing community sponsor. Get there early on July 1 to get a great seat in Memorial Park to watch a first class fireworks show.
Have fun and dance as if no one’s watching!!
We hope to see you at the Oh Canada Waterdown Ribfest June 27 thru July 1 at Memorial Park in Waterdown.
The Oh Canada Waterdown Ribfest is far more than just great music, beer and ribs! It is a fun event for families of all ages and sizes to enjoy for an afternoon, evening or a couple of days.
Some of the many family friendly attractions at this year’s Oh Canada Waterdown Ribfest include:
- The Scotiabank Movie in the Park – sponsored by the great team at the Waterdown Scotiabank branch, the movie is free for everyone. Grab a blanket, the stroller and some snacks and bring your family to the park to watch a recent release family movie (to be announced) on the grass in front of a large inflatable screen. Wander through Ribfest when you are done to check out the other attractions.
- Carnival – the carnival is back again this year, bigger and better than ever. With a Ferris wheel, merry-go-rounds, fun rides, games and of course…candy-floss, it’s fun for the entire family. Tickets for the rides are purchased within the carnival area.
- Dancers/Musicians – we have great entertainment lined up for families in the morning and throughout the afternoon. Come and be entertained by local dancers from Dancemakrzs and Rising Star Performing Arts along with children’s entertainers and acts throughout the day. Check our entertainment listing for dates and times.
- Fireworks – Can you think of a better way to wrap up Ribfest and celebrate the great country we live in than a fireworks display at dusk on Canada Day. Bring your chairs or a blanket and be prepared to oooh and aaaww with your friends and neighbours in Memorial Park.
- Other Attractions – where else can you spend an afternoon and meet characters, listen to great music, be entertained by jugglers and comics, play games and meet your friends and neighbours… Ribfest of course. Watch our site, or better yet come on down to this year’s event to see what we have in line for families of all ages June 27 through July 1.
Tips for Families at Ribfest
- Bring sunscreen and a hat. While we have a lot of shade tents available, there is still a lot of open space, don’t ruin your day with a bad sunburn. Water is available throughout the park.
- Bring some change. The Oh Canada Waterdown Ribfest is a free community event but it is also a fundraiser that supports local and global Rotary projects. Your donations help people all over the world.
- While we love pets, we unfortunately cannot allow them into Ribfest for health and safety reasons. Please leave your pets at home and not in your car for their own safety.
- Bicycles are also not allowed in the park for safety but you can leave it in a secure area near the gate when you arrive.
The annual Oh Canada Waterdown Ribfest is a major community event for Waterdown, Ontario and it couldn’t be a success without the tremendous support of volunteers from throughout our local community.
Filling between 800-1,000 volunteer shifts each year; the community comes out in full force to support this great family event. From students to adults, community organizations to local businesses, the involvement has been absolutely overwhelming each and every year.
Student volunteers get a great opportunity to fulfill their community service requirements for High School graduation, while working with their friends in our recycling tents, parking areas, entrance gates and other areas of the festival.
- Adult volunteers help at the entrance gates, hospitality tent, recycling tents, security, ambassadors or in our beer tents. They have a great time meeting new people and enjoying a first hand view of the bands as they perform.
- Community groups also step up to staff shifts in the beer tent. It’s a great opportunity to work together as a team and to spread awareness of their organizations mission and work. Also all tips collected during their shift are theirs to keep, so it’s a great fundraiser as well.
- Community focussed local companies have also stepped up to provide overnight security services, music production and donations to help support this family event.
Some of the volunteer positions available for Ribfest 2014 include:
- Recycling – The Waterdown Ribfest prides itself in being one of the cleanest and greenest events in Southern Ontario so we recycle just about everything we are able to and keep our park exceptionally clean throughout the event.
- Security – with an expected 50,000 people through our gates this year, we want everyone to have a safe and enjoyable experience. Security roles are a great opportunity for students in post-secondary policing and security programs to get some real world volunteer experience.
- Ambassadors – Our Ambassadors welcome everyone to Ribfest at the gates and let people know about the entertainment lineup and what there is to see. They also collect donations from guests who want to support this free community event.
- Beer Tents – Adult volunteers love the camaraderie of working with a fun group individuals for a 3-4 hour shift of serving beer, wine and pop to our guests while listening to the bands. It’s a fun experience, smart-serve certification is preferred.
There are many other positions available for volunteers at Ribfest, please visit our website for more details and to select the shift(s) and roles(s) that you wish to help out with.
Since the first Oh Canada Waterdown Ribfest in 2010 we have prided ourselves in getting some of the best local talent to entertain our guests. And this year is no exception. We’re thrilled to welcome back three great bands this year that have wowed our visitors in the past.
Fiddlestix – an amazing high energy group that blows the crowds away with their own brand of extreme fiddle rock. We guarantee you’ll be dancing on your chair before their performance is done.
Freedom Train – back for their 5th year with us, this amazing trio of entertainers is always a hit with the crowds. They bring their own spin on classic rock, funk, R&B and original music which is sure to entertain.
The 905 Band – also back for their 5th year at Memorial Park, this fantastic band will delight the crowds with great vocals, a dynamic rhythm section and fantastic horns. They cover some of the greatest bands of our time from Lighthouse, Crowbar, Paul Anka and the Downchild Blues Band to name just a few.
The Killin Time Band – one of our original Waterdown Ribfest bands returns this year and we’re so excited. This fun group from Burlington is well known throughout the area and plays venues big and small. They’re great supporters of local charitable organizations and just a whole lot of fun to listen to.
Stay tuned for many, many more great acts that will be appearing at this the Oh Canada Waterdown Ribfest, June 27 through July 1 at Memorial Park in Waterdown, Ontario.
We hope to see you there!
Pretty big statement eh? But the funds raised at each year’s Oh Canada Waterdown Ribfest go to support Rotary projects within our local community and around the world. The Rotary Clubs of Waterdown and Flamborough AM are proud to participate in global projects that help improve the health and well-being of people around the world.
Some of the many International projects supported by the funds raised at the Waterdown Ribfest include:
Polio Plus – Beginning the 1980’s the eradication of polio on a global scale has been the primary focus of Rotary International. We’re proud to report that currently only 3 countries in the world remain in which the polio disease still strikes and cripples its victims. Rotary International has worked directly with the World Health Organization, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and other organizations to immunize, educate and fund polio eradication projects around the world. We’re this close.
ShelterBox – providing emergency shelters and supplies to families suffering after natural disasters. ShelterBox provides the basic necessities of life and dignity to people, to allow them to begin to re-build their lives.
Wells for Haiti – this Rotary project, started by Rotarian Roy Sheldrick of the Ancaster Rotary Club has built over 200 wells in rural Haiti to help provide safe, clean water to people in the outlying villages.
Other International projects include:
World Vision – supporting children in need around the world.
Grandmothers of Steel – supporting families in sub-Saharan Africa.
Canadian Nurses for Africa – providing basic medical support for families in Africa.
Your donations at the gate, purchases at Ribfest and attendance at the event all help support these wonderful projects around the world. Helping people in need, wherever they are. We hope to see you there June 27 through July 1, 2014.
The Oh Canada Waterdown Ribfest is known for it’s great food choices. Whether you are a fan of ribs (both beef and pork), barbequed chicken, hamburgers, hot dogs, corn on the cob, slaw, pitas, or just about anything else, you can probably find it at the Waterdown Ribfest this Canada Day weekend.
With the return of seven award winning professional ribbers and many smaller food service companies, we can almost guarantee that you won’t leave hungry.
With reasonable prices and a great selection to chose from, you can sit in the shade, listen to great local music for the entire afternoon with your family and friends. Special hospitality tent tickets are also available to allow families or business clients to get a first rate view of the stage, snacks served by local restaurants, drinks and a rib meal served to you at your own table. Visit our website for more details on this great opportunity.